Friday, May 22, 2009

Sorry About That

Exploring through a museum dedicated to the history of former East Germany was an odd experience for me. It's depressing to think of how the citizens were unable to make many purchases due to their emphasis in exporting goods. Also the fact that the Stasi spied on the people boggles my mind. I've noticed myself having a difficult time paying attention  in these museums. This probably a result of my ignorance to German history. I feel as though I don't appreciate these types of outings as much as I would like to. Perhaps this roots back to the fact that in my high school we learned absolutely nothing about Germany. Except we did briefly cover WWI and WWII with extensive coverage of Hitler. He seems to be the only topic we'd discuss because his actions were so outrageous. I shouldn't blame my lack of knowledge in German history on anyone but myself. However, I believe that my stay here is helping me expand my mind.

MaryHelen

No comments: