Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Changes from Berlin to Munich

When we first left Berlin I was a bit nervous to go to a new city because I had become so comfortable in Berlin. I knew how to get around, how the people acted and where the cheap food was. Getting off the plane in Munich I was in for a whole new experience. However, the subway riders were no different than the ones in Berlin, as we still got stared at for being loud. Once off the train we walked onto an almost empty street. It was around 11:30 in the evening when we were walking to our hotel and the streets were empty, there were maybe two or three people on each block. This was much different than Berlin where there seemed to always be a large amount of people wandering the streets at all hours of the night. Another big difference I saw was when a few of us explored the night life. In Berlin, the Germans never came up and talked to me or asked me where I was from, I always had to approach people. In Munich, I felt like I was meeting new people left and right. This plays true at restaurants to, as when I was at the beer house in Munich a couple needed a place to sit and we had room at our table so they joined us. I have never seen that done at a restaurant before, but it was like everyone was doing it so others could experience the great beer house. I would have never thought that would happen in Berlin. Overall in my opinion, the people just seem more nice and open to tourist rather than in Berlin.

Another large difference between Berlin and Munich is the entire setup of the city. Munich is filled with churches all over the city and roads that only service cars can drive on, even the streets seem narrower. Berlin is filled with wider streets, car lanes and trash. In a prior post I discussed how dirty the beautiful city of Berlin was, which is the exact opposite of Munich. Munich has almost no graffiti and even the beer gardens are clean for the amount of people eating and drinking there. Although there are many differences each city has its own characteristics that make it what it is. For now I will just keep continuing to compare.....

No comments: