Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Birds and Wieners

Imagine, if you will, that you are in Potsdam, Germany and you just ordered two wieners that are connected and french fries. Then, let’s say you sit your food down at an empty table and walk away to grab a fork close by. You then turn around, only to see a giant crow-like bird rising up off your table with your two wieners dangling from its beak. This was my experience at lunch today at the Biergarten...

I just stood there, shocked, with my mouth hanging open as every single German person at the beer garden laughed and laughed and laughed as I stood there in the middle of everything gaping. I did not know what to do, I rushed over to the table entirely too late as the bird flew to a nearby patio and began to feast on my lunch. I had no choice but to pick up my remaining food, return to the food stand, and plead my case. Free food, however, is not an option no matter what your misfortune, so I once more paid my 2.70 Euros and received more wieners. From then on I, and everyone around, was more careful about their food and NO ONE left theirs alone because that very same bird was soon back, sitting up on the branches of a tree, just waiting for another careless patron to give it an opportunity.

No comments: