Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A change from Berlin

After arriving in Munich last night, I noticed right away slight differences from Berlin.

First there’s hardly any graffiti. It surprised me when I noticed there were no sign of spray paint art within the U-bahn. In Berlin graffiti was something that became more familiar everyday. You can’t walk or get in any transportation system without seeing graffiti.

Also after arriving late in Munich, I was surprised to see a lack of people riding the U-bahn and walking the streets. This definitely is a major difference than Berlin, because no matter what time of day there are always people roaming the city. It only confirmed the city is much more conservative than Berlin.

This is also partly because the U-bahn and S-bahn do not run 24 hours like in Berlin. So if you’re going to a bar or club at night, make sure you find another mode of transportation.

So far, one thing I like about Munich is that the town square has no thru-traffic for vehicles. This makes Munich much more enjoyable to go shopping, and I think makes it a lot easier. Like many other students I’ve noticed a much more homey feeling being in Munich.

It’s bitter sweet that our trip is almost coming to an end, but for now I’m going to learn as much as I can from Munich.

No comments: