Friday, May 29, 2009

How high did I get?

Adrenaline ruled me today as I entered the Alps. Snow capped mountain tops, majestic architecture and one high flying experience. Tijgan was his name. A short rather bulky man who has been Para-sailing for 21 years now decides he doesn’t have enough time for a wife and kids in between his soaring sessions. That was my instructor slash pilot for my trip 8,000 plus feet high in the bitter cold Alps.

Strapped in, ready to set flight, reality sunk in as I stood looking over the edge of a mountain. Knowing that one slight slip up of the take off could serious cause some damage (no offensive to my other flying mate, much love). You ready? Those were the words I heard before taking the leap of faith. Two steps forward followed by a jolt back as the sail shot to life then catapulting off the edge into one experience I will never forget.

My first thoughts were oh great I’m going to die as we raised altitude at an alarming rate. A constant beeping noise assured me we were getting higher. The horizon was endless and the views were breathtaking, I knew right then it was worth it. Leaning right and leaning left we were able to direct ourselves soaking in all the landscape from a bird’s eye view. The feeling of no boundaries, controlling the wind and experiencing life is all components to a risk-seeking junky.

Today was a day I will never forget and the experience of Para-sailing through the Alps was an amazing opportunity only one could dream of. My trip to the Alps exceeding all my expectations and gave me a lifelong story.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

What an amazing trip huh Brett! I can't believe that we actually did it. All the thoughts that you had about dying I unfortunately had to experience but I'm glad that we all lived to tell about the experience. We can officially say that we para glided in the Alps...how cool is that?

Frauke said...

I'm so proud of you guys for trying this!!