Friday, May 22, 2009

AF

I am a very loud person. I like to yell, especially when I get excited and I have a point to make. I also like to laugh and to make people laugh. These traits help me stick out in Berlin like a sore thumb.

Berlin is the quietest large city I’ve ever been to. New York is the city that never sleeps and Tokyo is so loud you have to yell to the person next to you. I try not to be rude here, but it is hard to control my shout instincts. This is hard on the subway when we are all tightly packed and no one else is talking.

The culture here is much more staid as a whole than America. People in restaurants are not in a hurry to get their check and people on the street wait patiently for the signs to change. This is not a good or bad thing, but it is very noticeable. I have never walked down such busy, silent streets. I’ll try to change my ways while I’m here, but I don’t expect that to carry over the Atlantic Ocean.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The amount of quietness is definitely unreal. I do, however, love that so many people take time to sit outside and enjoy their food and a beer. In the states everyone is always in a rush and not really taking in simple everyday life. The Germans do know how to take things one step at a time... sort of like Jordin Sparks.

Michael said...

I'd say the Germans are more like Rick Ross... every day they're hustlin'

Jess said...

The people are definitely not in a hurry to get their bill/check here. Most times we eat at cafes or coffee houses, so the meal only takes minutes to prepare. We eat relatively fast, but the whole experience always takes 45 minutes to an hour. The servers probably have more tables, but it is definitely not speedy service.

It takes about five minutes before you are even greeted by a server. Because I worked in the glorious restaurant business for too long, I know how important that greet time is in America. Actually, serving is all about timing at home. It is necessary to have the drinks out in under two minutes and the bill out as soon the people are finished chowing down.

Everything is much more relaxed here. The drinks comes whenever and the bill comes when you ask for it. Although I didn't like this at first, it allows for more conversation with those at your table and less-stress all together.