Sunday, May 31, 2009

Berlin vs. Munich, Reflection

Berlin and Munich may only be one hour away from each other via plane, but they are extremely different cities. I witnessed these differences firsthand during our walking tour. Munich architecture is much more uniform; Berlin had several different types and eras clashing, sometimes on the same street. Berlin also seems to embrace its past more than Munich. In Berlin, there were memorials and signs everywhere for important places and events from the last 100 years. In Munich, the memorials are often not marked and are there only for those that want to see them.

People in Munich seem to be less pushy and friendlier. The city is busy and the streets are full of people, but the pace is not as fast here. Munich seems more leisurely. It is also prettier; there is less litter, less graffiti, and more trees. Berlin was a very industrial city.

Looking back on the trip as a whole, it was an incredible eye-opening experience. I learned so much about a country and about my profession. I had never been to Europe, so it was great to see the German lifestyle. One of the things that struck me was how quiet and “plain” the cities were; there were no neon signs or loud music playing, like in Tokyo or New York City.

The best parts of the trip were the meetings with the advertising agencies. The variation in the companies really made it worthwhile; the difference between McCann Erickson (with 24,000 employees worldwide and a 6 story building) and Fritzsch and Mackat (18 employees and one floor) were staggering. I got the impression from both of these visits, as well as from Scholz and Friends, that the number of people does not matter. The things that matter in advertising are research, dedication and passion. This is what I will take away from my experience in Germany. I have a new understanding of the ad world and the real world.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I agree that the most influential part was definitely the advertising agency appointments. Every time people ask me about what we did on the trip, those appointments are the first things I talk about. (I think this is also because we did SO many other things that they get all mushed together and I forget about the tours and sites.) It was crazy to really find out what it means to be a global citizen and professional. It seems that working internationally would be so much more difficult (and fun) than working locally. There are so many more things to remember, research and do when your work spans across multiple countries. Going global also adds millions of possibilities to your company and clients.

Before this trip I always dreamed of someday working in a big agency in the United States doing advertising for American products. Now I know that there are SO many more options. It would be amazing to take a job in another country for few years. Although I will always be American (AF), I would love to immerse myself in other cultures and discover how to advertise there.

After the trip, the horizon looks much brighter. I will definitely learn another language in the future. Being bilingual seems to add so much to your potential and knowledge. I want to travel more. I heard some of the best advice I have gotten in college during the media appointments in Berlin and Munich, which made it evident that the best learning often takes place outside of the college. If you are reading this and you haven't had the chance to study aboard yet, FIND A WAY! It really does make a you a better rounded student and professional. The Germany trip was a blast, but also made me think a lot about my professional future. I'm still not sure where I'll be in ten years, but I know the field of advertising will be keeping me extremely busy and satisfied. No matter what country I am in, the edge and competition in advertising will be there, which assures me that I will be thrilled to be working.