Saturday, May 16, 2009

Die Erste Tag in Berlin

First of all I think I speak on behalf of everyone on this trip with saying, "Holy crap I'm in Berlin!." So far it has been one wild ride and we've only been here for a couple of days. Today we were going to go on a four hour bike ride through Berlin but the rain came so we rescheduled for tomorrow. Fortunetly, we got to go to the Story of Berlin Musuem. This musuem was a great way for us to learn about the city of Berlin starting from the 1700's all the way to the 90's. Then we visited a nuclear bunker from the 70's. It was nothing like I've ever seen before. The bunker was designed to hold 3600 people. First come first served bases. It was extremely small and full of cots that trust me no one would want to sleep on. The bunker was dark and cold with blue lights. The tour guide told us that the blue lights were ment to sanitize the rooms but with that many people in one area for two weeks they wouldn't do much. She said that unfortunitely the bunker was not well equipt for the 3600 people that it would hold.

Shortly after seeing the bunker we went to a coffee house to have coffee and cake. Having coffee and cake is huge to do in Germany (kind of like going to Starbucks for Americans). This place though was sooooo much better than Starbucks. I had a vanilla ice coffee and an Apfeltorte. YUMMMM! The iced coffee had no ice but instead they put ice cream in it. I've never thought to do that and it was amazing. Apfeltorte is like an apple cake but it had cooked almonds on the top. Coffee and cake is one of my favorite traditions so far here in Germany. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

No comments: