Sunday, May 17, 2009

Stereotypes & Suprises

Today I was talking with Manila and she was so open and interesting.  She said in the United States she used to think that people perceived her as rude, though she said she did not feel this way in Germany.  After returning to Germany for her program this year, she realized the difference: Germans are more upfront and honest.  Americans on the other hand are considered more fake and find it rude when people just simply speak their mind with brutal honestly.  I had learned of these stereotypes before our trip, but it was interesting to hear her speak of them first hand. 

Another cultural difference I noticed today occurred when I was riding the S-bahn and a man started playing the guitar and singing.  I don’t see this happening anywhere in the United States, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I experienced a couple of firsts today also.  This was the first time in my life that I have paid to use the restroom as I paid 50 cents for this luxury at the Holocaust exhibit.  Then, at the Brandenburg Gate, it was the first time I was asked to pay to take someone’s photo.  

No comments: