Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reality Check

The flight back to the States from Munich went very smoothly for Jackie, Mike and I however I wish I could have been with the group in the Crown Plaza; AF. Unpacking everything and putting my entire suitcase into the washer was a very good feeling along with the nice cool breeze of air-conditioning as I walked into my house. But for some reason I feel like I miss German and a part of me really enjoyed their lifestyle and culture. I thought the first bite of my chicken number seven from Taco Bell would be the best thing ever, I was wrong. My body rejected the grease-filled tortilla and I missed the doner or the freshness of a deli.

I feel like the experience in Germany really made me feel part of their culture as I used their mass transit systems, ate the local grub, drank the best tasting beer and conversed with other locals, so coming back to the States was kind of a letdown. I feel compelled to live a greener lifestyle here in Lincoln and try to eat as healthy as I can. I want to ride my bike more as opposed to driving to limit gas usage, I want to make my own food and use the least amount of electricity as possible.

Also I don’t really know what to do with my days yet. My job starts on the seventh and I’m so use to attending media appointments that an open/free day feels like forever. Overall I really enjoyed Germany and there is no doubt in my mind I will head back to Europe as soon as the cash flow starts running again. I want to experience all other cultures in different countries and learn how they operate because as most of the agencies said, you must understand others cultures in order to appeal to them.

5 comments:

Krystal said...

I agree Brett. I just got home yesterday night. What a trip. I had my mind set on getting home and it was a let down when I found out that we were stuck in Amsterdam for another day but it worked out because it was one more city that I got to experience. I feel the same way about the food as well. I have to go grocery shopping today and I have no idea what to buy. I miss Europe too, when I woke up this morning it was so weird not to have anything to do and not to see everyone. :( I miss everyone already!

Michael said...

I can't believe what happened to the other group... I'm a bit jealous; staying in a swank hotel in Amsterdam would have been great. At the same time, it was nice to get home early in the day and not feel like too much of a zombie.

I honestly keep waking up expecting to find myself in the hotel; I think I'm still jet-lagged or something because I'll ask myself "What time was the meeting downstairs?".

It has been weird to come back and like Krystal said, going to the grocery store was an experience. I didn't see any croissants or doners so I was a bit confused. The hardest thing was adjusting to driving again. I have learned to just hop on the subway and relax instead of worrying about gas, red lights and other drivers.

I really miss seeing everyone but I am glad that most of us will be here in Lincoln this summer. I know we will have plenty of reunions and I can't wait to see you all again!

Jess said...

This blog is deep. I miss you all too. Omaha is rainy and depressing currently and I would much rather be in the nice German sun enjoying a beer. My parents took me out to dinner once we finally arrived home and sorted out some missing baggage claim disputes. I was about to order a drink when I realized I am no longer legal here (three more months). The food is definitely much different. I didn't realize how much I missed milk until I had my first glass of ice cold Skim milk. This was followed by three more - delicious.

Tawny said...

I agree with everyone. It has been really weird trying to adjust to everything back home.

Last night my boyfriend came over to have dinner with my family and I was supposed to drive him home. After watching a little TV, I fell asleep. In between my deep sleep and my families attempt to wake me up, I kept telling him he could just take the bus or the U-bahn.

I guess I'm catching up on my sleep now that I'm home? And I didn't realize I'm not in Germany any longer.

I also feel very lazy now that I'm home. Since we were doing something from the time we woke up until we went to bed, I'm not used to just going to work and having a bunch of down time. It definitely makes me want to break out my bike or just take a walk in the park in my free time.

Frauke said...

It's so interesting to read all of your blogs. I'm excited to hear that you might be changing your lifestyles a bit. I always feel the same way when I get back to Lincoln (i.e., trying to ride my bike more and eating better). We should encourage each other to do so.