Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wir fahren nach Berlin...wir fahren nach Berlin

People look weird at me when I say "I actually have never been in Berlin" and I actually grew up in Germany. I'm really excited to see Berlin finally after I saw all the movies that are played in Berlin like "1, 2, 3."
Everybody was really excited to go and see the German culture and everybody was anxious to experience the German table manners :). My American companions were shocked that they have to pay their water at the restaurant. We went to an Italian restaurant and ordered real Italian pizza-it was really good and I think everybody enjoyed it.
The next afternoon we went to get Kaffee and Kuchen which I really missed that in America. I got a hot chocolate and a Popeyseed cake which is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to the next days here in Berlin :)

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Actually, I was surprised that you hadn't been to Berlin, too. =) I guess from my perspective it was because Berlin is the capital of Germany, and I assumed that everyone should have visited the capital city of their home country.

After thinking about it though, I realize how silly this assumption is. After all, there must be many Americans who haven't been to Washington D.C.

I think I assumed it because I grew up near the capital city of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur (K.L.), so I've been fortunate enough to visit it. There are many Malaysians in rural areas who have never left their villages to visit K.L. Also, because West Malaysia is separated from East Malaysia by the South China Sea, it's highly likely that some of my countrymen have never crossed over into the West or the East.

In hindsight, I guess it was just one of those things that I should reflect on before jumping to conclusions. It's great that you're finally getting to experience Berlin though =)!