Thursday, May 21, 2009

Back in Time

It was a beautiful day as we got off the bus to the Potsdam Castle of Friedrich der Grosse. The Sun was shining and the birds were singing and in the middle of that our little group enters the Sansoucci Castle. I was amazed about the construction of the building and the Rococo Style Frederick the Great emphasized in his rooms. Rococo Style means that every room has a theme. Frederick loved France and especially the Versailles Castle which he also took as an example for his castle.

After our tour through the castle we took a tour through his big garden which is built symmetrical and gives you an experience of infinity as you look through the maze. It was so beautiful and it gives you the feeling of being in a different time period. As we walked though it, it seemed like a labyrinth. The garden was filled with so many statues at random places. It was gorgeous.

We also went into his summer house. In this house he had all the dancing rooms like the “Marmor” Room which is a copy of the Mirror Room in Versailles. These Rooms consist of mirrors which reflect the garden which is seen from the windows and bring it back into the room. It reminded me so much on Versailles just in a smaller version. I loved it and it brings you back in time which is so wonderful. Sometimes I wish I could have lived at these days, but in the end I don’t think I could do it without our technology now a days .

It was a great day and a lot of walking but we all had fun and we all were dead tired as we got home … however, some of us still had the energy to go out!!!muhahaha

1 comment:

Jess said...

It is hard to describe the intricate detail in Fredrich's castle. There was more gold in his summer residence than I have seen in my entire life. The Neus Palais, the newer home, had 200 rooms. We only toured 20 of them, but each one was extremely different and filled with massive portraits.

I sometimes think I am vain for having many pictures of myself and my friends in my house, but Fredrich had pictures of himself and his family all over. The portraits were all at least 40x50 with some triple that. The pictures frames were all gold.

Some of the rooms had four or five separate layers of crown molding. This made the ceilings seem even higher than they were already were. His castles must be worth trillions. I couldn't help but think of Rod Kush's home and how much that cost. People often say it should not be destroyed because it is so well known in Gretna. Fredrich's home is ten times the size of Kush's. It is hard to grasp how he lived in such a big place. After walking across his entire residence it felt like he owned at least five squares miles (but I could be exaggerating). It was definitely beautiful, but I could never live in a place so large.