Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Berlin vs. Munich

Today was our first real day in Munich. I already love this city. It's quite a bit different than Berlin in so many ways.

Berlin is such a big city with so many people. The streets are crowded day and night with people shopping, drinking and in a hurry to get to who knows where. The people in Berlin were friendly for the most part and of course like any big city you run into the people that are just plain rude. I felt that Berlin could be a little overwhelming just because I came from such a small town, where I was used to people saying excuse me or I'm sorry when they run into you. I've found that this is not the case really in Berlin. I also heard that Berlin is a lot like New York in that aspect. I've never been to New York so I've never encountered this problem before. I was blown away by this just because people in Nebraska are generally polite.

Munich on the other hand has been a totally different story so far. The people have been generally really nice. In fact, on the S-Bahn and U-Bahn today I heard almost everyone that wanted to pass you say entschuldigung ("excuse me" in English). That was a good feeling. Another thing that I really liked about Munich so far is that it's cleaner than Berlin for the most part. Berlin has graffiti on just about everything, where as here in Munich I haven't really seen any. Overall, I just think that Munich is a beautiful city.

Don't get me wrong Berlin is a great city and a must visit city for any travel lover. We had so many good times there. I just like Munich the best so far. Maybe it's because it is so much smaller. Both cities have so much to offer as far as history and architecture. They are truly places that everyone needs to experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is pretty wild how different the two cities are. I completely agree with you, too. People in Munich are much more pleasant. I think everyone that I have met thus far in Munich has been really nice.
Another difference I've noticed is the graffiti. Berlin is literally covered with it. Munich seems to not have such an issue with it. Berlin was definitely a blast but I was glad that we came to Munich to compare the two cities and its two different cultures.