Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Should Have Been a Princess

Today we toured Friederick the Great's castles. Oh my golly, they were the most beautiful pieces of architecture I have ever seen. The gardens were a labyrinth of ornate statues, flowers and shrubbery. I could have wandered throughout it for hours marveling at its many sites.

The castles struck me with awe and a pang of jealousy. Not to be a traitor to my generation, but I was born in the wrong time period. I will admit that I am the holder of several tiaras that I like to wear around (they make me feel beautiful). I could have total dealt with wearing corsets, heels and wigs while entertaining my “guests”. Perhaps in a former life I was a princess, waltzing around the ballroom, champagne in one hand and a paper fan in the other. Princess or not, I am very pleased that I was able to visit this miraculous place.

Corrigibly yours,
Princess MaryHelen

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Mary, you are very much a princess! I could not agree with you more, I loved the architecture of the castles. The details inside each room were very interesting to me. Each room had a different theme, emotion and main focus, so I was constantly looking around the room as to not miss out on something! When we were looking at the first castle I thought it was so ahead of their time. The kitchen was a bit more modern than I thought it would have been during that time frame. Another thing that I kept wondering about was how could someone afford that big of a house? How much value did money have at that time? I know that Fredrick the Great had a lot of gold, but what was gold worth? I guess I just need the monetary value to make me understand better. Also, what talent the designers had to be able to come up with such intricate ideas. Every piece on the castles was detailed to the very last finger of a person, or every last vine on a plant. You don’t see that much detail when looking at houses built now, but I also do not think we have that taste for extreme detail.

Along with the amazing castles, I thought once again Germany really outdoes itself with really being into their history. I went on the tour of Fredrick’s main castle to his living quarters. This tour was in complete German but with the enthusiasm of the tour guide I felt like I understanding the overall idea. I believe that the person delivering the message has an impact on the people receiving it. Our tour guides have been great so far which has made my experience in Germany great as well!!