Sunday, May 24, 2009

Time, teeth and nudity

A few differences that struck out to me today are as follows:

First of all, I have noticed that almost everywhere we go, the people we meet have not had orthodontic care or possibly ever even seen a dentist. Is dentistry uncommon for Germans? I thought maybe the discoloration could possibly be due to the teatime everyday? Although, a lot of Americans also drink coffee religiously and do not have the discoloration.

Also, today especially, I noticed that Germans are a lot more particular when it comes to time. Americans are much more informal about it, and showing up a few minutes late is neither rude nor uncommon. In Germany however, it seems that being on time is a must. They become very irritated if you are even five minutes behind.

Lastly, upon looking at a front page of a Berlin paper today I saw a nude photo of a man and women. I was shocked. Even the advertisements I noticed throughout the paper were full of nudity. At breakfast, I made the remark that photos like that would never fly in America. Frauke then enlightened me and made a good point. She said that here, nudity sells, while in America, violence sells. Neither is better, just different.

No comments: