Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Biergarten

Today after visiting the "summer castle" of Frederick the Great we made our way to my first German biergarten. Honestly, it was not what I expected at all. Most beer gardens in America have a tent with beer and a band playing outside. The American people are there mostly to socialize with others. When we walked up to the one today, I remember thinking this is it. It was very chill, just a stand and picnic tables surrounding a fenced in area. To me I felt once again the relaxation and ease of the Germans. When eating no one was rushing, everyone drank their beer slowly to make sure to enjoy it. I remember drinking mine fast and Kika told me I need to slow down and really take my time. It all goes back the fast paced lifestyle of Americans and the "living in the moment" style of Germany. Does anyone agree with that??
I can say for sure that I can't wait for the next biergarten in Munich!!

1 comment:

Frauke said...

I agree - every time I come back to Lincoln after spending some time in Germany I try to remind myself to slow down, to ride my bike more, and to eat more natural food. Usually this lasts about a week and then I'm back on the "American track." Let's see what happens this time...