Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday

This morning we went to Morgen Magazin and I loved it!  I had no idea we were going to be part of the live audience.  The “talking masters” as they called them were so open and gracious and even mentioned our presence on air.  After the five minutes of fame, we got to see the studio.  It was here we discussed the differences between German and American broadcasts.  German public broadcast stations are funded by the fees of those who own televisions while American public broadcast stations rely on commercial money.  We then are consumer driven which is a very different concept.  Germany can rid itself of the worry of ratings and instead focus on what they think the public needs rather than wants to know.  Morgen Magazin heavily covers politics while America instead is cutting down on overseas bureaus and settling for popular entertainment.  Both ways of doing business have their perks and downfalls. 

Completely separate idea:  The German Language

I find it interesting that Germans use so many English words.  Professor Moeller said this is a striking contrast from the French language who detest using English words.  In the u-ban today a poster written in German included the words, “mit Assessment & Learning.” 

Lastly, the restaurant we went tonight was amazing, though I have to admit I like American chocolate malts more than German ones which seem to lack ice cream and instead taste more like chocolate milk.  I tried a pasta salmon rap for the first time here as well and I was very proud of myself for swallowing it.  Hummus was another new food for me, but surprisingly, I liked it.   

No comments: