Thursday, May 21, 2009

Story of Berlin

During the tour of the museum I really focused on a couple of things. I really enjoyed the Berlin wall portion, Hitler’s reign, and the nuclear bunker. I was intrigues by the Berlin wall because I have heard about it and learned about it but never knew the dimensions of it. The museum really made the tourist take a second look at everything and paid much attention to detail. After reading the history of the wall I was able to appreciate the differences between West and East Berlin and how difficult it must have been depending on which side you were on along with your friends and family. The Hitler’s reign portion was very mind-blowing especially the book burning and Kristallnacht. The Kristallnacht section was very interesting because it had a strobe light along with the sound of breaking glass. I just felt the overall feel of the section was thought through and effective. I have taking a number of classes about the Holocaust but there is always something new to learn and try to comprehend the reality of the situation. My favorite part of the tour was the nuclear bunker and how we were physically able to be where the possible 3600 people would be in case of an emergency. It was really hard to put my head around having the entire population of Berlin racing to get a spot at one of these bunkers; it would have been utter chaos. Without any reservations I believe the people would lose all sense of humanity and act in a barbaric manner. I don’t even know if I would want to be in that bunker with 90 percent humidity at 90 degrees with no cleaning in the bathrooms. I could not even think about the smell running through that place. I did agree with our tour guide as she said the bunkers were mostly intended to calm to people down and let them know the government is doing something to treat the panic. It seemed like they just rushed into the project because it looked disproportioned such as the kitchen and medical facilities. Overall the tour was very informative and gave me a better understanding on the history of Berlin.

No comments: