Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mosaic Heaven

Today, a small group of girls and I had some free time and made our way to the "Hallow Tooth." It is an old church that was bombed during WWII and not much is left now. The outside, despite being scarred with destruction, is still utterly beautiful. The inside is awash with glorious mosaics in all colors, sculptures, and carved bas reliefs on the walls. It was like stepping back in history and seeing the art and architecture that decorated many buildings in Europe. The remains are now a symbol of peace for Berlin and Germany and a metal "tree" of candles symbolizes those who remember and pray for the continued peace of the city and church. I added to that blaze of hope with my own lighted candle.

One of my concentrations is art history and I have always been fascinated by it so this visit was very special for me. I will treasure my photos and memories of the place forever. It might possibly be my favorite building in Berlin because, no matter how much adversity and damage it has seen, it still stands as a symbol of peace and resilience.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I agree, this building was stunning. I am so glad we went inside! I will never forget it.