Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cultured Germany

After being up and down the streets of Berlin for a few days now, I noticed something about the restaurants. First off, I noticed that no matter how windy, people truly enjoy eating outside. Instead of visits to a restaurant being for just a meal, they are more of an occasion. I watch people sit and relax. Almost no one looks at their watch they just enjoy their company and food. This is so different than in America where we are constantly checking the clocks and making sure we are getting the most out of every moment. I do not think that the United States would ever start an afternoon tradition of drinking a beer or glass of wine. We are too busy trying to make more money. I'm starting to love the German traditional afternoon and am not sure I am willing to leave it!
Another thing about restaurants that I noticed are that the chairs are always facing the sidewalks. People are rarely sitting at a table and staring at each other. They are usually facing the sidewalk and people watching. I've noticed this quite a bit being the odd American on the street. When you watch the people's reactions (if they notice you), they know that you are not a German. I feel a bit out of place but not unwelcome. In America it is strange because we love to people watch, but we do not like to be seen doing it. (Or maybe that's just me??)
The last thing I have been noticing is the confidence that German women or European women have compared to American women. Mary and I discussed how we do not walk in rooms with the most confidence and sometimes avoid eye contact, whereas, the Germans seem to always look you in the eye and almost own the room. I wish I had their confidence and hope to maybe gain some before we leave!

2 comments:

Jess said...

By just walking the streets of Berlin, I feel that I have learned so much about the German culture.
We were lucky enough to see a group of street performers yesterday. The group chalks off an area of the sidewalk and starts performing at random times on the streets. Their skill level was unbelievable! Justin mentioned the atmosphere on the streets in a previous blog, and it is very different how relaxed it is. Most people don’t seem to be in hurry, just leisurely walking around and enjoying the town. This may be because it is the weekend, so I’ll let you know if that changes during the week!

Dogs are a very common sight on the streets and many of them run alongside their owner without a leash. Children are also seen running around throughout the streets and sidewalks while their parents shop inside a store or eat inside a restaurant. There is a feeling of trust and obedience between the parents and children that is not found it America. It is much different to see this in comparison with the children on leashes in America.

It feels very at ease on the streets here. You can get a beer or ice cream at anytime and not feel bad about it. It has been nice to just walk (and bike) and not deal with traffic. The roads are much smaller here, but so are the cars. Although the Germans are excellent parkers (especially parallel parkers) they don’t seem to be much better drivers than Americans. I have seen several near accidents. Also, the pedestrians do not have many rights here.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Jess

Jaclyn said...

I've also noticed the way Germans carry themselves. As Lauren mentioned, they seem more confident and walk with a purpose.

Our guide book mentions that Germans are very frank and won't hesitate to express their displeasure. I wonder if they seem confident because they're used to being frank and open, so they don't avoid the gaze of others.

Also, Frauke mentioned something about German children being taught to sit up straight and to behave themselves during meal times, so this could explain some of the confident posture I've seen in Germans.