Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Castle Day

Today was amazing.

I loved visiting Frederick the Great’s Sansoucci Castle in Potsdam today.  I think what surprised me the most was the fact that the kings did not sleep with their wives; instead they gave them completely separate castles, or at least different rooms.  I could not believe how many paintings adorned the wall; they were absolutely exquisite.  

         After the castle visit, on our way back to the hotel, some of us stopped for food.  I went to a McDonald’s and was sad to find out that no one knew what a twist cone was.  I tried for a few minutes to get my point across, but ended up with a sundae.

         Once back on the u-baun, I again realized how much I appreciate American’s take on cleanliness.  A German stood above me while I sat and really exuded a sweaty, dirty smell.  I didn’t realize that Germans don’t wash as often or care as much to use deodorant.   

         After getting off, I walked into a store, not realizing it was after hours, and a saleswomen attempted to barter with me on a necklace, something I would never expect to occur in Nebraska.  

No comments: