Monday, May 18, 2009

German Elevators, so fun!!

Today when visiting both Die Welt and RBB we saw interesting looking elevators. They are elevators that are open in the front where the doors should be with a handle on the side and on top. The elevator is continuously going, so people have to step on quickly and step off quickly. I asked the tour guide at RBB and he said that it is named after the Catholic Rosary because of the way it moves. It goes up to the top, over to the side, and back down. It was probably the highlight of my day. I do not know why I liked it so much, but I think the thought of the elevator being open rather than condensed made it seem cool. In America we would never think of having something so "unsafe". At Die Welt we asked to ride it, but our tour guide said no, so then we asked again at RBB and he said yes. Each elevator had two group members on it. Now don't get me wrong, I learned a great deal today, but I really liked the elevator.

After our visits at the two companies, we also got to go the Olympic Stadium then it was time to head back home. After getting off the subway at the plaza area we then decided to hop on the next subway to get closer to the hotel. About nine of us were with Ali enjoying ourselves when Kayla mentioned that she thought we were at our stop. We thought we needed to make two stops, so we just stayed on. Turns out we were at the last stop and the subway shut off. LOL! The conductor walked by us stranded in the car and Ali told him we missed our stop. He drove us back and then we walked home. It was a great way to end the day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you... the elevators were awesome. I would imagine that the design is less dependent on electricity compared to other "normal" elevators... or maybe more energy efficient. Just a thought.
The stadium was a very cool site to see as well. It wasn't on the intended agenda but that's what made it even better! Taking pictures was a good time... especially sitting in the seats!

Jaclyn said...

Just wanted to let you know, Ali mentioned that elevator is called the paternoster (meaning "our father" in Latin). I wonder why they call it that. But anyway, I thought it was a really fun experience too! =)

Michaela Ann said...

I so wish we had these elevators in America. I felt like James Bond when we stepped on and were lifted up and out of site and then reappeared on another floor rising from below! Each person's reaction was full of surprise and enthusiasm and priceless to watch!!! I hope we get to ride some of those elevators again someday!