Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Castle in the Alps

For our last day in Munich, the group and I spent the day hiking in the Alps and exploring Neuschwanstein Castle. I thought this was a great way to end our two-week tour of Germany. This particular castle was owned by King Ludwig of Bavaria. He had a huge imagination and was obsessed with fairy tales. It just so happens that the Disney castle is a replica of Neuschwanstein. Sadly, all construction came to a halt once King Ludwig died mysteriously. The castle was never finished. His mysterious death was very intriguing. I can see why people are so interested by the history.

The castle is placed alongside a giant cliff. From down below, it looks small but very ornate in detail. It is without doubt an eye catcher and can’t be missed. The hike itself to the castle was just as breathtaking. After finally reaching the top of the castle, I was a little out of breath, but it was worth it! I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

No comments: